Sunday, March 11, 2012

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

What I loved:

I thought that the character development was really outstanding. There was something I loved about every character in the book, even the ones I hated. Oliver did a really amazing job helping us to explore the depth in each of her characters, while really reminding us of the depth in all people.

The story was beautifully written. If you loved her style in Delirium and Pandemonium, this certainly doesn't disappoint. For someone with no imaginative bones of her own, I was able to picture every expression and encounter between characters vividly.

I loved that she decided to keep the story a little unconventional. While this disappointed some, it isn't like she didn't TELL us what the deal was at the VERY BEGINNING of the story. There weren't a whole lot of surprises in the plot - It was really about uncovering the characters.

Harlot Sam was my favorite Sam of all.

What I didn't love: 

It took a LONG time to get to through seven days of the same(ish) story. Day 2 and 6 were a little painful for me. I would have preferred maybe a little less of the conversations that were repeated day after day. I get it. It's the same day over and over.

I didn't really understand why . . . SPOILER!!!!
































Sam had to die to save Juliet . If Sam was in the car in the first place and the reason that she dies is because Juliet darts in front of the car, how can still-alive Sam die in Juliet's place by darting in front of a different car instead? Why does Juliet get a second shot at living, but not Sam? Does ANYONE ELSE GET THIS? I'd really love some insight. Lauren Oliver?

I think that the story was so beautiful, and it was a really interesting read. I liked it. I didn't love it. I don't have to have it. I'm not tweaking over it.

No comments:

Post a Comment